Monday, September 04, 2006

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

The other day I posted about the passing of Glenn Ford, but it wasn't long after that I had a strange feeling about it--something wasn't right. I read several obits and they were all pretty much the same. The LA Times, however, dedicated two pages to Ford's obit. Since Ford was a movie star and lived in LA, I guess the Times would have the most info available about him.

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. Well, they had the info, they just weren't reporting it.

In my post, I mentioned that Ford retired as a Captain in the Naval Reserves. But I didn't get that information from any obit I read, especially the LA Times'. I ran across it in an online bio of Ford. I checked and double checked this info. It was true, Ford retired as a Captain, but you find scant mention of his military service in the obit. In fact, they didn't even bother to mention Ford went on to retire. The highest rank they note was Commander in the Navy.

Ford actually joined the service in WWII and served until his retirement in 1977. Not worthy of a mention, though.

What the Times did mention, and I think this has something to do with downplaying Ford's military service, are his views on the Viet Nam war. A subject that still festers in newsrooms across this country. The Times thought it important enough to quote Ford a couple times but couldn't come close to describing Ford's great service to his Nation.

Read the LA Times' obit and decide for yourself.

In Ford's era, many stars joined the service to fight for their country. Some even stayed until retirement; Jimmy Stewart comes to mind. Ford served out of a sense of duty to country and never made a big deal about it. Neither did the LA Times.

NEWSMAX noticed something was wrong with Ford's obit and decided to set the record straight--to fill in where the MSM failed to do its job. In this piece, NEWSMAX highlights Ford's service to country and describes it accurately and proudly. Good for them.

RIP, Glenn Ford. A great American Patriot. Semper Fi.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com