Sunday, November 07, 2010

TWD UPDATE PT 3: CML, TASIGNA + 60 DAYS

I'm now 60 days into the TASIGNA drug trial, with some test results remaining the same and one huge area of improvement.

First off, here are the basics: I tipped the scales at 160.5 lbs; Blood pressure 122/82; pulse 84. Still need to pick up another 20 lbs or so, but my weight loss has stopped and I'm stable in that area.

Blood results: White Blood Count is holding at 3,500 (normal is 5-10k). Last month we reduced my dosage in order to raise my WBC to normal. That didn't happen but the Dr is not concerned about it. We just need to keep it from moving above normal limits.

The huge news this month: Testing prior to this review showed my blood platelets were into the danger zone--very low count. Platelets are important because that's what allows your blood to clot. And leukemia wins when you begin to bleed and it can't be stopped. With this type of leukemia, it's either bleeding or an infection that gets you.

Testing this month for my platelet levels returned a reading of "NORMAL." Yes, normal--just like healthy folks. My Dr. was somewhat surprised at the rapid increase in improvement. Me, I was wondering why I wasn't told about the platelet levels in the beginning, but quickly realized docs don't like to scare you if they can avoid it. I want to know it all--good or bad. Next visit this will be made clear to my doctor. By the way, my doctor is one of the finest I've ever been to. His office is operated in a most efficient and professional manner, and it makes going to an appointment practically enjoyable. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin, and by the look of him I'd say that was about 20 years ago.

Months ago, when he first examined me, I was in bad shape. Worse than I realized. He completed his examine, did a quick consult and went for the door. Fast, I thought. Then about 3 seconds later, he popped his head back in the door and said, "Don't worry, I'll have you feeling better soon." I was sold.

The bad news is really good news, but I still don't like it. In order for researchers to determine exactly how successful this therapy is, they have to do a bone marrow biopsy. This allows them to calculate the percentage of cancerous white blood cells. The lower the better, of course. None at all is my destination. The procedure is most unpleasant, so I'm not looking forward to it, at all.

If you're interested, this
short video gives the latest news about Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. And this short animation shows how CML begins and progresses in your body.

TWD Update 1

TWD Update 2

Blessings to everyone--thanks for the prayers and please keep 'em comin'. No doctor can write a Rx as effective as your thoughts and prayers.

***

Labels: , ,

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com