Thursday, November 22, 2007

WHERE WERE YOU ?


*Reposted from last year, note at bottom:


If you want to start a good conversation that almost always ends up in an argument, start talking about the Kennedy assassination. Everyone has an opinion. It's one of the most fascinating subjects in our history. All this week your tv schedule will be filled with assassination programming. However, it still won't be solved.

I'm not one of those conspiracy nuts. In fact, I don't think there was a second gunman in Dealey Plaza on November 22nd; I'm pretty sure there was a third and fourth one, though. But that's just my opinion.

Many of the players involved with the investigation are long since dead. Some say that's by design. But, two major players are still with us, still arguing, and not giving an inch with regards to their theory. Of the two, one is credible...the other is Arlen Specter.

This article explains how both men came to be involved in the investigation, and outlines their theories. One of them actually comes out and says who he thinks killed Kennedy. It's an interesting and historical read.

Where were you? That would be the most common question, and those of us who were old enough back then remember exactly where we were and what we did when we heard the news.

Leal School, Mrs Bennett's first grade class, Urbana, Illinois.

Around 12:45 cst, our teacher brought a tv into the class. She didn't say much, except that this was very important. She tuned the tv to Walter Cronkite. Not long after it began, Cronkite announced that the president was dead. School was cancelled for the rest of the day and I walked the one block to my house. I found my mom listening to the coverage on the radio and tv.

I didn't have a clue as to the importance of this event. It was obvious the adults did because their mood was somber, neighbors came by the house and talked about it. It reminded me of the mood during the missile crisis just one year prior.

My dad made me watch the entire funeral proceedings. For a little boy this was very boring and I made it known I wasn't happy about it. But he made me sit in front of the tv for the whole thing, telling me that this was history and I was going to watch it. He was right, it was history; I'm glad he made me sit there to witness it.

I'll post more about this in the next couple of days, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear about where you were on November 22nd, 1963 when you heard the news. If you weren't of this world yet, I'm sure you have an opinion about it. At least I hope you do.


The book about JFK's assassination that was banned in the United States.

**One day after posting the above, Andrea and Mark had Dr. Cyril Wecht on their radio program. The interview was outstanding and it was one of their best shows. My post for that program is here--lots of interesting information regarding that day in Dallas...the Dan Rather links are no good but the rest are still good if you care to browse around. CAUTION: The Zapruder film segment is a slow motion, close-up version and should not be viewed by children.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com