Wednesday, May 02, 2007

LONG MEMORIES IN THE MILITARY COMMUNITY

This weekend, many bloggers/milbloggers will be converging on Washington D.C. for this year's Milblog Conference. In addition to the planned events at the conference, some of the attendees will take the time to visit some of the significant sites in Washington, and one of those sites will be Walter Reed Army Medical Center. As bloggers, we read many stories about our recovering heroes. Too Many. But, to be able to actually visit with them and their loved ones is a special privilege, indeed.

Recently, one person we all know wasn't afforded the privilege of spending some time with our wounded. Her name is Joan Baez (Newsmax). John Melencamp invited Baez to perform with him at Walter Reed, however, officials at the medical center put the kibosh on that. And, now, Baez is having trouble figuring out why:

"I have always been an advocate for nonviolence and I have stood as firmly against the Iraq war as I did the Vietnam War 40 years ago," she wrote. "I realize now that I might have contributed to a better welcome home for those soldiers fresh from Vietnam. Maybe that's why I didn't hesitate to accept the invitation to sing for those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end, four days before the concert, I was not 'approved' by the Army to take part. Strange irony."--Might have?

Hey, Joan, get a clue. Your anti-war activism from the 60s is still clear in everyone's mind, but maybe, just maybe, your recent efforts at not supporting the troops had something to do with it as well. And don't hand me the "I support the troops but not the war" line, either. It doesn't wash with real Americans.

Mellencamp asked officials why Baez was not welcome and was simply told, "She can't fit here, period."

"She can't fit here, period"--pretty clear to me.

******

Also attending the Milblog Conference

Andrea fits, period.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com