Friday, June 03, 2005

INTERESTING TIDBIT


I think Nixon got screwed twice. I was listening to his brother, Ed, on one of the cable shows and he said something that I was sure I heard wrong. So, I looked it up and, to my amazement, I had heard correctly, but I still find it hard to believe. Here's what his brother was talking about:

On April 10, 1978, a federal grand jury charged Felt, Miller and L. Patrick Gray with conspiracy to violate the constitutional rights of American citizens by searching their homes without warrants, though Gray's case was dropped before trial. Felt told Ronald Kessler:

"I was shocked that I was indicted. You would be too, if you did what you thought was in the best interests of the country and someone on technical grounds indicted you."

The case went to trial in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia in the fall of 1980. On November 1, 1980 former President Richard Nixon appeared as a rebuttal witness for the defense, and testified that presidents since Franklin D. Roosevelt had authorized the bureau to engage in break-ins while conducting foreign intelligence and counterespionage investigations. It was Nixon's first courtroom appearance since his resignation in 1974. Nixon also contributed money to Felt's legal defense fund. Also testifying in their defense were five former attorneys general.

No wonder Felt didn't want anyone to know who "Deep Throat" was. First, he screws Nixon for not giving him the Director's job at the FBI, then he turns around and picks his pocket! The MSM, I'm sure, will bypass this portion of Felt's background. After all, they might not get another chance to slap Nixon around. In addition, I think this points out that Nixon had other ideas who "Deep Throat" was.

Felt's history here. Nixon's here.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com