Tuesday, January 09, 2007

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME

After CPR ended on Tuesday, I was looking over Drudge's stories. Most of the day there had been 3 articles about the Malibu Fire. One of them was about Suzanne Somers' home being destroyed. Then, later, I noticed an additional (4th) article about Somers that mentioned Iraq in the blurb. So, naturally, I took a look.

At first I was astonished at what Somers said about Iraq, then I was confused. Not wanting to fall victim to a story being pulled, (Mark and Andrea) I saved the article and printed it. I kept reading it to get an idea of where she was coming from, because I wasn't sure if she was a regular Hollywood loon. Was she slamming the war? I wasn't sure. And then, within an hour or so, the article was pulled from Drudge's site. Who knew? The other 3 articles remained. Now I'm really re-reading it. (I did find it listed in Drudge's archives at 18:56:07)

Here's where it gets weird. This is what the 4th article quotes Somers as saying, and it's the same article that was pulled from Drudge's site after an hour or so:

In the wake of a devastating fire that destroyed her Malibu home, Suzanne Somers maintains a positive attitude.

In a statement to TMZ issued by her rep, Suzanne says, "My nature is to look at the glass half full. I don't have a son or daughter in Iraq. I haven't lost a loved one. We will rebuild, and I truly believe we will learn something great from this experience."

Suzanne and her husband were not in Malibu during the blaze.

Now, the original article about Somers' home being destroyed quotes her as saying this:

"My nature is to look at the glass half-full," Somers said in a statement Tuesday. "I truly believe we will learn something great from this experience."

Just slightly different, wouldn't you say?

Do you think she was slamming the war in Iraq? And why and how does this article get pulled from Drudge's site so fast? The differing quotes?

I'm not saying she's a loon or that she's slamming the war, but something's fishy here. If she's slamming the war, then I'll gladly fit her on my list. I have plenty of room.

In the 4th article, there is a video link but it wouldn't work on my machine. However, I'm told she does not mention Iraq during the taped interview, which leads me to believe she said it prior to or just after taping and someone wrote it down. BTW, the 4th article has over 200 comments--explosive on both sides. USA Today has no mention of the Iraq portion of her quote, either.

The L.A. Times has a 3rd version, but not completely in quotes:

Somers bit her lip before making a statement for microphones thrust in front of her. In proper Hollywood fashion, that statement was scripted.

It wasn't as though she'd lost a son or daughter in Iraq, she said.

"My nature is to look at the glass half full," Somers said, reading from a piece of paper. "I haven't lost a loved one. We will rebuild, and I truly believe we will learn something great from this experience."

A couple of sentences and we get 3 versions of it.

Share your wisdom with me. I'm lost.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com