Friday, August 25, 2006

LODI TERROR SUSPECT WALKS

Umer Hayat has been on house arrest in Lodi since the beginning of summer, after his first court battle ended in a mistrial. Today, he enter a federal court in Sacramento, armed with a plea deal, and was set free by the judge.

The elder Hayat was charged with lying to a federal officer. His plea deal calls for a fine and probation. His son, Hamid, was found guilty earlier in the summer and faces up to 39 years in prison on terrorist related charges.

Umer Hayat told reporters that him and his son were treated unfairly. From KCRA:

"The way they treat us is unfair," he said in broken English. "But they was doing their job."

And this:

"I love the United States," he added. "This is my country. I'm a U.S. citizen."

Now that he's free, Umer Hayat immediately went on a local newscast attempting to build community support so his son can get a new trial. He insists they are not terrorists and they are not a threat to the community.

Well, that settles it.

Read the story in the Sacramento Bee.

History of this case:

LODI TERRORISM CHARGES FILED.
JIHAD IN LODI: CHARGES FILED.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com